Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe and Review


Yesterday's dinner was a slow cooker ground beef stroganoff recipe I've been looking forward to reviewing.

I just love comfort foods and there's no reason not to have them!

You can take just about any recipe and tweak it so it's healthier, so yes, you can absolutely have stroganoff and stay on program.

I adapted this recipe from the cookbook Fix It and Forget It Lightly by Phyllis Pellman Good.


I omitted the onions (we don't like them around here) and used 2 lbs. of ground beef that I browned first instead of using the stewing meat that's called for in the recipe.  

Healthy swaps!  I'm always looking for ways I can make healthier choices and foods I can swap for foods high in fat and sugar.  I'm a firm believer that healthy eating can be tasty and enjoyable.  In fact, for me, I must like what I'm eating. 

And I'm finding that with a playful attitude and determination, lighter, it's pretty easy to discover healthier foods and make healthier choices.  I'm really having fun with this journey as best I can and I love that I can lighten up recipes like this.  

I'm sharing the original recipe here as well as the tweaked version. 

Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stroganoff Slightly Tweaked

Makes 6 Servings
  • 2 lbs. 90/10 ground beef, browned and drained 
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced 
  • 1 t. salt 
  • 1/4 t. black pepper 
  • 1 lb. fresh mushrooms 
  • 1 can Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup 
  • 1 C. water 
  • 1 C. light sour cream 


Combine all ingredients except sour cream in slow cooker.
Cook on low 6-8 hours.
Stir in sour cream and heat through on high for a few minutes.








Original Version

Makes 6 Servings
  • 1 1/2 lbs. lean beef stewing meat, trimmed of fat
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. black pepper
  • 1 lb. fresh mushrooms
  • 1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 C. water
  • 1. C fat free sour cream


Combine all ingredients except sour cream in slow cooker.
Cook on low 6-8 hours.
Stir in sour cream and heat through on high for a few minutes.



My Review


I loved the smell of this cooking all day long.  I kept going into my kitchen thinking, "What smells so good?"  Then I would remember, "Oh, yeah!  The stroganoff!"  

It was quite easy and quick.  I even purchased sliced mushrooms to cut prep time even more.  

It's a very basic recipe and could be changed up by adding other ingredients.  So if you have seasoning preferences or maybe have a tried-and-true recipe, you could try it in your slow cooker.

The result was somewhat bland and needed additional seasoning.  But a little more salt and it was tasty.  The sauce was thin, which I didn't like, so next time I make this - there'll be a next time! - I will try to thicken the sauce up with flour. 

All in all, it's a good recipe to add to your meal rotation. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...